Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Moment (or more) of Panic

My oldest is going to be 5(!) in less than a month!  It feels like it hasn't been long enough for him to be turning 5 already, yet at the same time, it also feels like I can't even remember what life was like without him!
So I am having a moment of panic now that I have realized that next year he will be a kindergartner!  We have been homeschooling preschool off and on for the past couple years, but I really feel like next year I need to be much more consistent and intentional.  M already asks to do school almost daily, but he is also very resistant to learning new things.  We tried and failed at the Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons book.  Neither one of us really cared for it.  I really, really want to purchase All About Reading Level 1 for him, but at the same time, it is a bit expensive for us, and I don't want to spend a lot of money if it is not necessary.  So many homeschoolers tell me it is not necessary to really spend much money at all on curriculum for Kinder, so I am going to try to wait it out and see how he does before buying expensive curriculum.

I am also really concerned though because M is so resistant to me teaching him.  He will intentionally give wrong answers for things that I know that he knows or pretend like he forgot letter sounds.  I can tell him a sound or word and 5 seconds later he will tell me "I don't know."  Now this could just be a phase, except that so far it has pretty much lasted the last 3 years!  He did it learning his colors, then learning his letters, and now learning to read!  Sometimes I will see him read a word on his own, but if I ask him what it is he will say he doesn't know or that he can't read it.  I am pretty convinced that it is quite a bit more his personality vs just a phase.  I can already tell a difference between his little sister who is quite happy to try to tell me colors or try to do letters.

I am not entirely sure how to handle this resistance, but I am hoping to try to figure out some ways to teach him through things that he is interested in.  He is particularly interested in dinosaurs, and also really likes space and animals.  I am not quite sure how I am going to do that, but I am going to continue doing our Bible lessons and we are going to continue with MUS Primer for Kinder, neither of which we got very far in this year.

He also has a subscription to Reading Eggs and ClickNRead.

We joined a homeschool co-op this past year and it has been great to meet other homeschoolers, but he was just in the 4 year old class this past year.  Starting in the fall he will be in K-2 level classes (just 2 classes one morning a week).  I am slightly concerned how he will do, but he is actually excited about the classes, so hopefully he will do well.

I hope to keep up with this blog more in the next year to help document our homeschool journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment